[xmonad] xmonad as an outsider

Anthony Campbell ac at acampbell.org.uk
Fri Nov 11 09:16:38 CET 2011

On 10 Nov 2011, Allen S. Rout wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 12:34 PM, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> >Have you looked at dwm, written in C? It was the forerunner of xmonad
> >and functionally and visually the two are quite similar. I was able to
> >modify it pretty easily by editing config.h and patching the code even
> >though I know no C.
>
> While I'm still also an outsider, I figure I can say this:
>
> Posting signs to the help list for X that folks should use competing
> product Y is likely to eventually generate friction.  Seeing the
> comment I experience an awkward embarrassment, like seeing a fellow
> guest insult the host's cooking.  I'd suggest it would be more
> polite to make that reply private.

[snip]

Well, it was you who brought the subject up in the first place :)

>I really love *using* xmonad, and I've not found another window manager
>that I'm nearly as happy with, but the horror of *configuring* xmonad
>wastes a lot of my time and makes me disinclined to recommend it to
>others.

People debate the advantages and disadvantages of Debian vs other
distributions on the Debian users mailing list without anyone taking
offence. That seems to me to be in tune with the philosophy of the free
software movement. Anyway,for the record, I too think that xmonad is
brilliant and I had no intention of starting a flame war. I merely
thought that it was worth mentioning that dwm, from which xmonad
derives, works in much the same way and is perhaps easier to configure
for newcomers. I recommend both on my blog. But if anyone is offended, I
apologise and shall not mention it again.

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk