[xmonad] xmonad development

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Tue Nov 8 15:36:18 CET 2011

On 11/07/2011 05:43 PM, Wirt Wolff wrote:
> Excerpts from Allen S. Rout's message of Mon Nov 07 10:59:59 -0700 2011:

> What would you suggest to improve this situation? My experience with
> the xmonad community is that it's pretty friendly and responsive, so
> any suggestions you share should at least get a fair hearing.

OK.  Most importantly:

> The installation instructions on xmonad.org should be much clearer
> for people who know nothing about and don't care about the haskell
> ecosystem, and just want to use xmonad.

Yes.  It's entirely reasonable to stick with the 'Run darcs head'
attitude, but that should be the universal message folks get when they
hit the 'How to use xmonad' sorts of pages.  You might even
investigate removing xmonad from repos.

The key point here is consistent message.  The reality is that, if you
want to run xmonad, you need at least apprentice-level haskell skills
and a fairly serious coder-type attitude.  This is fine, just don't
make it easy for folks without these distinguishing marks have
illusions. :)

- Allen S. Rout