[xmonad] xmonad development (was: something in particular)

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Mon Nov 7 18:59:59 CET 2011

On 11/07/2011 12:13 PM, Norbert Zeh wrote:

> Let me address the two separate points here:
>
> (1) No official release in 2 years: This makes me a bit uneasy about the future
> of xmonad, as it seems the original authors have lost interest in the project.

"Me, too".  But it seems that the torch has been passed, not dropped.
Truly, the state that no current coders have commit is a little skeery.

> Bottom line: I highly recommend running the darcs
> version, particularly given the current state of affairs regarding point (1).

Understood, and I'm willing to go do that.

But I think it's reasonable to point out that, in effect, xmonad
positively repels new converts.   As in, aggressively discourages them.

Here's the path I've trod so far:

- install vendor packages.  Understand that I'll need to dog-paddle in
haskell to function in xmonad.  Tinker.  Get frustrated

- go learn about cabal, because bluetile suggests that it's a better way
to get up-to-date code.  On the way to bluetile, get enough xmonad
functioning to not need it.  Think "Ah, OK.  vendor packages out of
date, use the CPAN-equivalent for haskell, and all will be good".

- Find that the haskell platform hasn't been updated in 7 months,
despite the claim it'd get love in July.   Get nervous about the entire
haskell community.

- See that cabal xmonad is -2 years!- out of date.  Shudder.  Understand
that I need to learn darcs.

So, in order to use your WM, I have to completely bathe in haskell, down
to learning the ideosyncratic, haskell-only VC you guys have cooked up.

I _really like_ xmonad.   I think it's a delightfully featureful and
spare WM universe, and I'm feeling in better control of my desktop than
I've been since I ditched CTWM.

But insisting that new users be baptized into your church (or at least
attend sunday school for a few months) is really bad for adoption.

- Allen S. Rout