[xmonad] Tiling messed up while external monitor is connected

Samir Unni srunni at gmail.com
Fri May 27 04:22:08 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to use an external monitor with my Arch Linux x64/Xmonad
setup (Intel integrated graphics), and I'm having some tiling issues
when using the default tiling algorithm. My laptop has a 1440x900
monitor, to which I've connected a 1280x1024 external monitor in the
past without any problems. There are also no problems when no external
monitors are connected.

But when a 1600x1200 external monitor is connected, the tiling on the
_laptop monitor_ is messed up (go to http://ompldr.org/vOHQ3Mw for a
screenshot). It may be a little difficult to observe - the window
heights are reduced to ~10 pixels each and placed at the top of the
screen. If I open a second window, each one takes up half of the monitor
width, as usual (the window heights remain at ~10 pixels each). I have
dzen2 bars at the top and bottom of the laptop monitor and have
avoidStruts enabled, so the windows shouldn't even be in that particular
part of the screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Samir Unni