[xmonad] What do you have in your tray?

John Mastro john.b.mastro at gmail.com
Sat May 21 21:14:30 CEST 2011

I started using XMonad a few weeks ago and really enjoy it. I hadn't tried a
tiling WM before - I'm amazed at how much more spacious my screens feel.

After trying both xmobar and dzen2 I've found that I prefer xmobar. I've
also tried it running it with Trayer (I started by following John Goerzen's
tutorial) but I have the sense I'm not getting as much out of it as I could
be.

If there are any Trayer (or similar) users on the list, what applets do you
have there? For the moment I've only found Gajim useful. I'm using XMonad on
a desktop, so nm-applet for instance isn't as helpful as it would be
elsewhere. Is there a Gtk (or GNOME) mixer applet? That's something I'd like
to add but the candidates I've found (like gnome-alsamixer) don't seem to
use an applet.

Thanks,

- John