[xmonad] Gnome3 and xmonad

Jens Petersen juhp at community.haskell.org
Fri May 6 10:24:40 CEST 2011

2011/5/6 Ted Zlatanov <tzz at lifelogs.com>:
>>> Supposedly gnome-panel will be used as a fallback in case the machine
>>> can't handle the new Gnome shell.  I can't find a way to force that
>>> fallback, though, in the Wiki above or with Google searches.  Does
>>> anyone know?
>
> MT> There is a setting for it, but I only know how to get to it from
> MT> inside gnome-shell itself, it's called fallback mode,
> MT> System Settings-> System Info -> Graphics.

Right you can override the gnome/fallback session with gsettings on
"org.gnome.desktop.session session-name" after creating a xmonad.session file.

The one in Fedora looks like this:
-=-
[GNOME Session]
Name=Bluetile session
RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon;
RequiredProviders=windowmanager;notifications;
DefaultProvider-windowmanager=bluetile
DefaultProvider-notifications=notification-daemon
-=-

At the distro level at least I think using an xsession .desktop
is the correct way to do this (see my previous mail).

Jens