[xmonad] Wanting to do a window-shift in a event handler

Michael Norrish Michael.Norrish at nicta.com.au
Wed May 4 03:34:01 CEST 2011

On 04/05/11 11:14, Michael Norrish wrote:
> Unfortunately, the focus and shift action above doesn't quite do the
> right thing when the "work" workspace is not visible.  When I create
> the emacs mail-editing window in the "mail" workspace, and when the
> "work" space is not the other visible space (on the other monitor)
> nothing seems to happen.  (I guess the emacs window really is
> created, but the manageHook immediately whips it away, so I never see
> it.)

> If I subsequently do a M-1 (which would normally take me to "work"),
> this doesn't take me there, but instead causes the emacs window to
> suddenly appear on my "mail" workspace.  In this way, it seems as if
> I'm 'refreshing' the state of the workspaces so that I get what I
> expect.  It's mildly annoying that the emacs window doesn't show up,
> but it's also disturbing that the functionality of M-1 is being
> overridden in this way.

Actually it's even more complicated than this: when I launch the external editor as above (and I don't see the emacs window appear), the mouse moves to the top middle of my left monitor.  Focus stays in the right place.

I've attached my whole xmonad.hs just in case there's something else funny going on with my setup.  I'm on Ubuntu 10.10, running through /etc/gdm/xsession, and xmonad --version reports 0.9.1

Michael