[xmonad] Emacs frame with STRUT+DOCK doesn't get keyboard focus

John Yates john at yates-sheets.org
Tue Jun 7 22:04:38 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

Most docks don't expect keyboard input directly and either open a new
> window or explicitly request input focus (e.g. gnome mini-commander
> applet), so users get confused when input focus goes to a dock
> especially in click-to-focus mode.  I think one of the early
> minimalist docks did the wrong thing with input focus, too.  In any
> case, it's somewhat unusual for a dock to want the input focus, and
> strange things can happen if you grant it.  (Even in newer ones; I had
> some odd behavior from KDE4's Plasma while working on my
> freedesktop.org extensions due to unexpected input focus.)

Brandon,

I regularly have attempted to create a single emacs mini-buffer docked at
the bottom of my screen for all of my frames.  (My goal is to approximate
the experience of the Apollo Computer DM's command window.)  I have never
been entirely successful.  Are you suggesting  that mine is a vain quest?
 Or can you suggest how I might actually get it to work under Xmonad?

/john

/john