[xmonad] Emacs frame with STRUT+DOCK doesn't get keyboard focus

Ted Zlatanov tzz at lifelogs.com
Tue Jun 7 21:23:12 CEST 2011

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 14:14:34 -0400 Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

BA> 2011/6/7 Ted Zlatanov <tzz at lifelogs.com>:

>> OK, so it's not a bug?  It seems unreasonable to block docks from
>> getting the keyboard focus.  Why does XMonad do it and others don't?

BA> I suspect it's mostly a matter of cargo cult coding:  people blindly
BA> copying code without really understanding what it does.  The author of
BA> ManageHelpers understood well enough to include other possibilities.

OK, but I'm talking about the default settings.  Is it reasonable to
block docks from getting the keyboard focus by default?  What is gained
by that?  Or is there no default and my configuration is the problem?

>> Looking at the docs for XMonad.Hooks.ManageHelpers didn't help me much
>> (I don't know the XMonad internals and configuration well at all).

BA> Hrm.  Have had too many things going on of late and apparently
BA> misremembered; I had been working on extended freedesktop.org support
BA> and thought I'd discovered that I was reinventing parts of
BA> ManageHelpers.

BA> This is from my own package, which is on hold at the moment:

>> manageUtility :: ManageHook
>> manageUtility =  ask >>=
>> \win -> liftX (withDisplay $ \dpy -> io $ raiseWindow dpy win) >>
>> doFloat

BA> This replaces the "manageDocks" in manageHook, but you still need the
BA> rest of the ManageDocks machinery to handle the struts.

OK.  Do you want me to open a bug or a wishlist item for this to remind
you to put that functionality in the core?

Thanks
Ted