[xmonad] trying to get started w/ xmonad

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Wed Jan 19 15:41:49 CET 2011

I'm attempting to ease into using xmonad by using the gnome integration.

I have a dual monitor setup and I want to turn greedy views off and have
each screen have its own set of workspaces,
so if I'm on the main monitor, it has its own workspace 1-9 and the same for
the second screen.

starting from various faqs, I came up with this:

import XMonad
import XMonad.Config.Gnome
import XMonad.Layout.NoBorders
import qualified XMonad.StackSet as W
import XMonad.Util.EZConfig (additionalKeys)
import XMonad.Layout.IndependentScreens
main = do
    xmonad $ gnomeConfig {
            workspaces = withScreens 2 ["1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7",
"8", "9"]
          , modMask = mod4Mask
          , terminal = "gnome-terminal"
          , layoutHook  = smartBorders (layoutHook gnomeConfig)
    } `additionalKeys` myKeys

myKeys = [
          -- rebind meta-p to dmenu
          ((mod4Mask, xK_p), spawn "exe=`dmenu_path | dmenu` && eval \"exec
$exe\"")
         ]
         ++
         [
          ((m .|. mod4Mask, k), windows $ onCurrentScreen f i)
               | (i, k) <- zip (workspaces' conf) [xK_1 .. xK_9]
               , (f, m) <- [(W.view, 0), (W.shift, shiftMask)]
         ]

but conf on this line isn't in scope:

               | (i, k) <- zip (workspaces' conf) [xK_1 .. xK_9]

gnomeConfig is in scope but that doesn't seem to make a difference and it
kills the rebind for dmenu.
pointers greatly appreciated.