[xmonad] Issue 426 in xmonad: XFT show characters outside my set font as blocks.

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Mon Jan 17 09:55:53 CET 2011

Owner: ----

New issue 426 by Dank... at gmail.com: XFT show characters outside my set font
as blocks.

* What steps will reproduce the problem?
   1. Set my font to something like Dejavu Sans/serif/mono, Liberation
Sans/serif/mono, Droid Sans/Serif/Mono, etc
   2. Open some xmonad tabs that should render some foreign characters like
japanese or korean

* What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
   - I see what is in the attached image. I get square blocks rather than
the foreign text. in this case "日本語" is what i should see.
   - The problem occurs in xmobar and xmonad tabs, which i assume is a
related issue.

* What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?
   - happens on xmonad 9.1 and pulling from latest darcs
   - I've tested on slackware, ubuntu, arch, debian

* Are you using an xmonad.hs?  Please attach it and the output of "xmonad
--recompile".
** xmonad.hs:
http://hpaste.org/43098/xmonadhs

** xmonad --recompile (no output):
[dankles at mercury ~]$ xmonad --recompile
[dankles at mercury ~]$

** Other relevant info:
*** ~/.fonts.conf:
http://hpaste.org/paste/43098/fontsconf#p43099

* Please provide any additional information below.
If I set my font to a japanese font, japanese characters will display
correctly. Or if i set it to a korean  font, korean fonts display fine as
well. etc.

This seems to be an issue of xft not falling back to another font that has
the correct characters.

other non-haskell xft apps seem to handle this fine. e.g. emacs, urxvt,
etc..

** X11-xft:
This is actually likely to be a bug in the haskell x11-xft lib. I'm running
the latest version (0.3)
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/X11-xft-0.3

There is a Hello.hs test file in the X11-xft package. If compiled, I get
the same exact error with foreign characters.

This package hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years. I've emailed the
developer, but he hasn't responded. So i'm coming to you guys, hoping that
you can help me out in some way.

** Personal plug:
I've been using xmonad for about a year and a half now. I had been
searching for "my" WM/DE of choice for years. Ever since KDE moved to KDE4.
I've tried awesome, ion, fluxbox, xfce, gnome, openbox, lxde, stumpwm, and
many more... Xmonad has finally been "it" for me. And this is the only bug
that has been bothering me this whole time (which is better than i can say
for any other WM/DE i've tried).

So I'm willing to help in ANY way on my end that i can.

Thanks

Attachments:
	2011-01-17--1295252661_1680x1050_screen.png  335 KB