[xmonad] dzen2 not recognized by avoidStruts on non-rectangular desktop

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 13:01:23 CET 2011

Excerpts from Samir Unni's message of Sun Jan 02 21:32:33 -0700 2011:

> Does anybody else have any suggestions for fixing this? I still haven't
> managed to find a solution.

Sorry for not responding earlier. What version of dzen are you using?
I'm pretty sure this was fixed in dzen over a year ago. IIRC it was
dschoepe who sent the patch in, so if he or Rob is still around on
#xmonad they might be able to confirm that. Anyway, using dzen svn-271
a setup like yours works fine. Also you need the xinerama support
compiled in, i.e. dzen2 -xs 2 blah blah works. I suppose if arch
doesn't have a svn version you might have to build it yourself.

Here's an image of screens with tops aligned 1200px high on L and 768
on R. Four dzens:  http://ompldr.org/vNnR0dg

Hope that helps. It is a little rough in that xmonad doesn't redraw
screens until something changes, so at first windows would overlap,
but if your dzens are started before you start creating windows that's
not an issue. Also once the dzens are started they don't adjust to
screen geometry changes, so if you change resolutions you need to
restart them.

--
wmw