[xmonad] Focus getting stuck on one window

Ben Butler-Cole ben at bridesmere.com
Tue Feb 15 22:18:22 CET 2011

I asked (edited):
>> I am unable to move focus away from
>> the first window that I open. I can launch further windows, but they
>> do not get focus. I can send the focused window to a different
>> workspace, in which case focus switches to another window
>>
>> When I try to switch focus
>> there is some flickering -- I think the red border disappears and then
>> reappears again as though focus very briefly switches where I'm trying
>> to send it and then goes back again.
>>
>> I haven't been able to see any pattern in when this does and doesn't
>> happen.
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, using XMonad from the standard package repo.

Brent Yorgey replied:
> As just a first guess, it sounds like perhaps a poor interaction
> between XMonad.Actions.Warp and something else -- are you using any
> pointer-warping in your config?  You could also try turning off
> focusFollowsMouse and see if that helps.

I'm not using any pointer warping. I'm afraid I haven't tried turning
off focusFollowsMouse yet -- I'll try that now.

I have discovered a few more things about this.
* It sometimes starts happening in the middle of a session.
* I can make the problem go away by using the mouse to
   switch focus.
* I can sometimes make the problem go away by pushing
   the offending window to another workspace and then
   going and getting it back again.

Is there any way to get XMonad to spit out any logging?

-Ben