[xmonad] Manage hooks

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Mon Dec 19 18:41:18 CET 2011

Hi folks,

before I go and code this up myself, let me make sure it doesn't exist yet.  I
want two features of managehooks:

- Display a certain type of window (say emacs) on a certain screen (screen, not
  workspace)

- Toggle manage hooks (e.g., using a key binding).  As an example, I normally
  want no special handling of emacs windows, but for certain tasks I want every
  emacs window to pop up on my left screen.  Since I do not want to reconfigure
  and restart xmonad every time the context changes, I need to be able to
  activate/deactivate certain manage hooks.

Ah, I actually just found X.H.DynamicHooks, which seems to go at least part of
the way for the second bullet above.  The first question remains.

If the above functionality does not exist yet, I'd provide the first as a patch
for X.H.ManageHelpers and the second either as a patch for X.H.DynamicHooks or
as a separate module, depending on how incremental the change turns out to be.
Does this sound reasonable?

Cheers,
Norbert

--

()  ascii ribbon campaign  -  against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org    -  against proprietary attachments