[xmonad] rearranging drag and drop toolbars (eg: inkscape)

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:04:20 CET 2011

Is there a trick to rearranging drag and drop toolbars on apps in xmonad?

I use inkscape quite a lot, and it recently moved one of the basic
toolbars from the top of the window to the right side (during a screen
resolution change), and I can't figure out how to get it back.

Generally, I'd just grab the handle on the toolbar, and drag it up to
the general area it should go, and it would snap into place.  However,
as soon as I drag the handle, the toolbar becomes another tiled
window, which snaps into an xmonad layout.  I /can/ drag the window
around by the internal gtk handle, but it doesn't snap back into the
application unless I close the window that was created when I dragged
the toolbar out of inkscape -- when I do that, it returns to the
original location in inkscape (on the right side).

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
Rogan