[xmonad] Problem with maximize on a 3 display setup

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Sun Dec 4 17:45:34 CET 2011

Robert Schultz [2011.12.04 1015 -0500]:
> Hello
>
> I have three displays. A center display at 2560x1440 and a portrait display on
> each side at 1200x1920
>
> I use xinerama and seperate xorg screen configurations.
>
> Almost everything works great, I can mouse around my displays, move windows
> between them, size between them.
> My xmobar is correctly on the bottom of each one.
>
> However when I maximize a window, xmonad only correctly maximizes on the left
> and center display.
> On the far right display it only maximizes to the first 1423 pixels and leaves
> the rest below blank.
>
> I can still size a window to the full height, and my xmobar is still on the
> very bottom and my wallpaper goes the whole way up.
> It's just maximized windows when handled by xmonad it doesn't think the monitor
> is taller.
>
> I asked for help on IRC and someone felt that it probably had something to do
> with struts not being calculated correctly or something.
> That some how maybe my xmonad was using some measurements from the middle
> monitor for the right monitor.
>
> I was using some older xmonad and xmobar versions, but as of Dec 3rd I updated
> latest xmonad from darcs (http://code.haskell.org/xmonad) and the latest xmobar
> from GIT (https://github.com/jaor/xmobar)
> Updating to the latest had no effect.
>
> My xmonad.hs file is: http://pastebin.com/JsFY5LXi
>
> .xmobarrc-left: http://pastebin.com/d3W8fpqA
> .xmobarrc-center: http://pastebin.com/jje5NsiJ
> .xmobarrc-right: http://pastebin.com/ay8Ct7AH
>
> My xorg.conf file is: http://pastebin.com/0t7b1JER
>
> Could someone help me out?
>
> I would GREATLY appreciate it :)

I can't debug this right now, as I don't have a comparable setup to play with.
However, after several delays, I expect to have a comparable setup to yours
before Christmas: two 1920x1080 monitors on top of each other in the middle and
two 1080x1920 portrait monitors on each side.  So, if this is a bug somewhere in
xmonad or xmobar, I should also run into this issue once my machine is setup
that way.  If you can wait until then, I'd be happy to help you figure out what's
going on.

N.