[xmonad] XMonad.Actions.DynamicWorkspaces selectWorkspace prompt nitpicking

Joseph Garvin joseph.h.garvin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 04:04:53 CEST 2011

I just discovered the excellent XMonad.Actions.DynamicWorkspaces but
have two issues with selectWorkspace:

-If I don't type a workspace name and just hit enter, it assumes I
want to create an unnamed workspace. I'd prefer it did nothing. It's
confusing because you see in your pager you have an extra workspace
but there's no extra workspace in the prompt. At first I thought
XMonad or my pager was bugged.

-selectWorkspace appears to act more like "selectOrAddWorkspace." If
you type the name of a workspace that doesn't exist, it creates it.
I'd prefer it pick the workspace I would have gotten had I pressed tab
to do completion first. The reason is that I'm used to ido mode in
emacs, where it autocompletes as you type, so you never have to hit
tab.

Because selectWorkspace only takes an XPConfig, I don't think there's
anyway for me to customize it, without diving into the extension's
code. Am I right? Or is there a better way?

-Joe G.