[xmonad] better combineTwoP and Property

Konstantin Sobolev konstantin.sobolev at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 23:46:10 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Adam Vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:

> * On Friday, April 08 2011, proxym wrote:
>
> >I modified combineTwoP and Property.
> >http://hpaste.org/45435/combinetwoqb
> >New name is combineTwoQB
> >
> >Now windows use full screen space always! (It was bug in combineTwoP,
> >when all windows are in one pane only)
> >
> >Now you can use IsDialog property to detect dialog windows.
> >
> >Version with simplified config: http://hpaste.org/45439/combinetwoqb
>
> Hi,
>
> What do users of Combo currently think of the differences here? I could
> believe that somebody might like the old behavior (less resizing, the
> windows look bad when they are full-width, etc.), but do people prefer this
> for such reasons?

Hi

Well, as I've already replied to the author privately, this isn't a bug but
an intended feature and I do use it this way. After all it works exactly as
described: if all of the windows match the predicate, then they all end up
in the same pane (which probably takes half of the screen)

> Regardless of whether or not the default ComboP should follow this changed
> behavior, the common code means that one should probably be written in
> terms of
> the other.

I think I can add one more Bool parameter to combineTwoP telling if the
whole layout must be replaced by one of the two sub-layouts if another
sub-layout is empty.