[xmonad] cabal install xmonad-utils fails on Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard (can't find crypt)

Florian Lengyel florian.lengyel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 12:34:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've had no problem installing, configuring and using xmonad+xmodbar
under Debian.
No such luck with Mac OSX 10.5.x and 10.6.x. In both cases, after
installing the right
XCode version and Haskell platform, my attempts to install
xmonad-utils fail with

imac:~ flengyel$ cabal install xmonad-utilsResolving dependencies...
Configuring xmonad-utils-0.1.2...
cabal: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing C library: crypt
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package that
provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library is
already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use the flags
--extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where it is.
xmonad-utils-0.1.2 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

The C crypt library is no longer maintained in macports.

What does the list suggest?

Thanks,
FL