[xmonad] Importing Stackset qualified

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Mon May 17 17:49:26 EDT 2010

* On Monday, May 17 2010, Gwern Branwen wrote:

>I noticed yesterday in my config, 'import qualified XMonad.StackSet as
>W', and I wondered - why do we do that? Is there some rationale behind
>it or is it just tradition?
>
>I ask because if the former, then there are quite a few modules in XMC
>which don't import it as W, or as anything at all; a quick grep:

>If the former, then several of these need to be fixed or changed, I think.
>
>--
>gwern

It's qualified because some names are reused: XMonad.StackSet.focus,
XMonad.Operations.focus

Consistent qualifications make it a bit easier to understand code, but
you can usually tell between those: if you imported both modules as
different random names, the types are sufficiently different that you
can guess which is which (Window -> X ()) is used quite differently than
(Stack a -> a).

I'm not against widespread changes to import style in the name of
consistency, but do take care to address unapplied patches beforehand,
to avoid having to resolve conflicts.

--
Adam