[xmonad] Smarter multi-screen layouts (ab)using XRandR

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu May 6 13:15:38 EDT 2010

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 06.05.2010, 09:30 -0400 schrieb
wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu:
> Quoting Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>:
>
> > I would naively expect the last configuration to be
> > [3][3] (focus on B)
> > which is of course not possible. Or is it?
> >
> > And it is not only about intuitiveness, but also very useful. When
> > holding presentations, I tend to use a tool like pdf_presenter_console
> > and therefore, my laptop screen (A) and the projector screen (B) display
> > different workspaces. But when I then want to demonstrate something
> > live, I?d like to have the same workspace on both.
>
> This requires compositing, if I understand the state of the art correctly.

As long as you make the screen a complete clone, you can do it with
xrandr – it supports clone mode as well as side-by-side.

With compositing, things would be even nicer, because you could still
have the panel on only one screen, or cope with different screen sizes
(by rendering the program on to the size of one window, and scale for
the other window).

Greetings,
Joachim

--