[xmonad] Smarter multi-screen layouts (ab)using XRandR

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Thu May 6 09:30:45 EDT 2010

Quoting Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>:

> I would naively expect the last configuration to be
> [3][3] (focus on B)
> which is of course not possible. Or is it?
>
> And it is not only about intuitiveness, but also very useful. When
> holding presentations, I tend to use a tool like pdf_presenter_console
> and therefore, my laptop screen (A) and the projector screen (B) display
> different workspaces. But when I then want to demonstrate something
> live, I?d like to have the same workspace on both.

This requires compositing, if I understand the state of the art correctly.

You may also like X.L.IndependentScreens, the next best thing for two
screens; it takes your list of workspaces and makes n copies of each
(where n is the number of screens you have). You can then choose which
workspace is showing on which screen independently (though of course,
as above, you can't show a single window on multiple visible
workspaces at once unless you want to hack some compositing support
into xmonad).

Cheers,
~d