[xmonad] Re: darcs patch: XMonad.Core: rw recompilation

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 11:49:01 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM, adam vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (I would like to run the numbers, but I don't know any way to ask
>> Darcs for when a patch was applied to a given repo, as opposed to when
>> a patch was recorded; with the former, I could check on things like
>> 'did the average time before a patch was dealt with definitively
>> shrink or expand when gwern switched email styles?')
>>
>> As I've suggested before: if you and Spencer are so overloaded as to
>> be unable to review modest patches given half a year, why not give a
>> third person the core commit bit? I wouldn't trust myself with the
>> core, but is there no one else? Joachim Breitner, for example, since
>> he's already patching Xmonad-core under his Debian maintainer hat.
>
> Here is a graph to compare the kinds of delays core and contrib
> patches take before being applied:
>
> http://code.haskell.org/~aavogt/darcsVersions/applyDelays.svg
> http://code.haskell.org/~aavogt/darcsVersions/applyDelays.png (much
> smaller file)
>
> Note that you need a copy of the relevant repos that preserves the
> mtime of the patches, which darcs get doesn't preserve, in order to
> generate that graph with:
> http://code.haskell.org/~aavogt/darcsVersions/cmpDates.hs
>
> Going from what's in the repos, core and contrib situations are not
> much different.

Well, I would point out that right now, XMC has only one patch
outstanding, from 2 or 3 months ago. So a 'complete' chart would show
one more red point just under the lowest dotted line - not a
significant difference.

But XMonad has ~10 patches outstanding:
http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/repo_http:__code.haskell.org_xmonad.html

5 patches are from 2009; so that means 5 blue dots are at least 125
days old. The oldest 2 are from July 2009, so that means they are ~339
days old - the second box from the top, older than the oldest patch -
which is also an XMonad patch BTW. Toss in the other 3 2009 patches in
the 200-300 box, and then the remaining 5 somewhere in the lower 2
boxes.

If those were plotted, the charts would not look so comparable.

--
gwern