[xmonad] darcs patch: Replace custom forever_ with library equivalent

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 16:28:42 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Daniel Schoepe <asgaroth_ at gmx.de> wrote:
> Replaced a custom forever implementation in Main.hsc by the equivalent
> from the standard libraries. I guess it was legacy code, since forever
> wasn't in Control.Monad in ghc 6.6 as far as I know.
>
> Wed Jan 14 22:55:56 CET 2009  Daniel Schoepe <asgaroth_ at gmx.de>
>  * Replaced custom forever_ by library function

hunk ./XMonad/Main.hsc 146
             userCode $ startupHook initxmc

             -- main loop, for all you HOF/recursion fans out there.
-            forever_ $ prehandle =<< io (nextEvent dpy e >> getEvent e)
+            forever $ prehandle =<< io (nextEvent dpy e >> getEvent e)

     return ()
       where
hunk ./XMonad/Main.hsc 150
-        forever_ a = a >> forever_ a
-
         -- if the event gives us the position of the pointer, set mousePosition
         prehandle e = let mouse = do guard (ev_event_type e `elem` evs)
                                      return (fromIntegral (ev_x_root e)

--------------------

This patch still applies to core.

I think it ought to be applied. Besides the general goodness of not
rolling our own and duplicating libraries, the chief objection was
people might not be using GHC 6.8 or newer.

But that was more than a year ago, and even Debian stable is using 6.8.2:
- http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ghc6
- http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ghc6

And I strongly suspect that we already broke GHC 6.6 compatibility in
several many ways.

So there's no downside to applying this, and only upside.

--
gwern