[xmonad] Issue 400 in xmonad: LayoutHints don't respect windows' hint changes without changing the workspace state

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sun Jul 4 17:58:57 EDT 2010

Owner: ----

New issue 400 by aleks.dimitrov: LayoutHints don't respect windows' hint
changes without changing the workspace state

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Use a minimal configuration like: main = xmonad $ defaultConfig {
layoutHook = layoutHints (XMonad.Tall 1 (1/2) (3/100)) }
2. Open Rhythmbox and press CTRL-D (to collapse the view to 'compact view')
3. Change the workspace state (toggle struts, change focus, launch stuff)

I'd like XMonad to recognize Rhythmbox' state change without re-evaluation
of the workspace state. XMonad however doesn't seem to be notified of
Rhythmbox' preferred size, or maybe just doesn't react to it.

Here's a couple of screenshots to illustrate the problem:
http://imgur.com/THPdml&y5e0U&r6n58

First image shows what happens when RBX changes its appearance and XMonad
doesn't react (these huge grey windows are exactly what I'm trying to avoid
using hinted layouts.)
Second image shows the desktop after a state change. That's what I'd like
to see!
Third image shows RBX expanding to its extended view again, but the window
doesn't get bigger! It stays small and requires a workspace state change to

xmonad 0.9.1 (Ubuntu 10.04)

Are you using an xmonad.hs?  Please attach it and the output of "xmonad
--recompile".

Minimal reproducing config:

> import XMonad
> import XMonad.Layout.LayoutHints
> main = xmonad $ defaultConfig
>                 { layoutHook = layoutHints (XMonad.Tall 1 (1/2) (3/100)) }

xmonad --recompile remains silent :-)