[xmonad] Recommended setup for coding

Ralph Hofmann hofmann2004 at arcor.de
Mon Jan 25 07:52:37 EST 2010

I have decided to move to the darcs version, but now xmonad hangs.

I have downloaded xmonad, XMonadContrib and X11 with darcs and installed
them with cabal-install without problems. Xmonad recompiles and starts,
but only shows fragmented windows and doesn't react properly on keys and
mouse. I have to kill the Xsession with Alt-Print-k in order to return
to the login-screen. Even with the most simple xmonad.hs.

Everything was fine, as long as I kept the debian installation, but
having both installations, I wasn't sure, which version I was running.

After removing all debian packages related to xmonad, the problem
occurred for the first time.

What is wrong? Maybe I have removed to much (for example
libghc6-xmonad-dev?), but I had assumed, I would get all needed packages
from darcs, except ghc of course.

I use Ubuntu-9.10 with ghc-6.10.4.

Ralph