[xmonad] xmonad on solaris, input issue

Ralph Hofmann hofmann2004 at arcor.de
Sat Jan 23 12:55:42 EST 2010

Am Samstag, den 23.01.2010, 16:58 +0100 schrieb Stephan Schulz:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Christian Walther wrote:
>
> > Hello Stephan,
> >
> > 2010/1/22 Stephan Schulz <ss.c at gmx.net>:
> >> Hello all!
> >>
> >> I've succeeded in building xmonad 0.9.1 on a sparc box with Solaris 10 and
> >> GHC 6.10.4 (bootstrapped with the 6.8.3 binary sparc package). The only
> >> issue is, that it doesn't recognize it's metakey. So I can't open a terminal
> >> or quit it with Meta+Shift+Q. It has definitely something to do with the
> >> build process as remotely starting xmonad on a linux box does work flawless
> >> (remotely as in "ssh -X" to it). Has anyone suggestions were I should start
> >> to check for errors?
> >
> > I'm using xmonad 0.9.1 on Solaris 10/Sparc, too, and don't have any
> > issues with it.
> > Is it possible that there is a mismatch between the modifier you
> > configured in your xmonad.hs and the corresponding key? xmodmap should
> > tell you.
>
> I'm using the standard modifier as I have no ~/.xmonad directory (neither
> on the linux box nor the solaris box). The output of xmodmap -pm is this:
>
> xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
>
> shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
> control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
> mod1        Alt_L (0x40)
> mod2        Mode_switch (0x71)
> mod3        Num_Lock (0x4d)
> mod4        Meta_L (0x73),  Meta_R (0x74)
> mod5
>
> Seems ok to me...
>
> Any other ideas what I can try?

I had the same problem on linux at the beginning. The reason in my case
was, that xmonad called a terminal, which has not been installed. You
could try a very simple xmonad configuration:

http://www.xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Doc-Configuring.html

and edit the "terminal=..." line properly.

Ralph