[xmonad] Restarting xmonad messes up Gnome

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 17:18:12 EST 2010

* On Tuesday, January 19 2010, Ones Self wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've recently upgraded from xmonad v0.8 to v0.9.  In v0.8, I was able to restart
>xmonad within a running Gnome session.  This is extremely useful when trying
>out different modifications of ones xmonad.hs file.  However, when doing the
>same in v0.9 it completely messes up Gnome making the Gnome.  Which
>means I need to log out/log in, and kind of defeats the purpose of restarting
>xmonad.
>
>I am using the following keybinding to restart xmonad:
>
>     -- Restart xmonad
>    , ((modMask .|. controlMask, xK_q   ),
>          broadcastMessage ReleaseResources >> restart "xmonad" True)
>
>Is this still the right command?
>
>Thanks,

It did get changed, though I don't see how using the newer version
(does the recompile in the background) will interact differently with
gnome.

Check here for the newer version:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/Template_xmonad.hs_%280.9%29

Could you describe in more detail what you mean by:

--
Adam