[xmonad] xmonad on gnome: permanently busy cursor?

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 23:17:37 EST 2010

Excerpts from Lara Michaels's message of Sat Jan 16 10:55:05 -0700 2010:
> Hi everyone,
> I have followed the wiki instructions to setup xmonad on Gnome (Ubuntu 9.10) 
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_Gnome
> and it worked beautifully. Just one thing is wrong: the cursor is permanently
> in "busy" state. I have noticed that this only happens when I enable (and add
> to the gnome panel) xmonad log applet. Oddly, if I do "sudo killall Xorg" and
> start my session over the problem is gone.
> I have seen others mention this problem
> http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?s=60a2086ae873324dce1d75cbad6e5402&p=85
> 17408&postcount=10
> but couldn't find any solution to it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? 

For reference, how did you install the log applet and which version?
What xmonad version are you using? Please attach or pastebin xmonad.hs.
Finally, how is your gnome/xmonad integration set up? i.e. are you using
a gnome session with just metacity/compiz replaced with xmonad so that
all the other gnome services are running?

Thanks for giving me motivation to finally install this applet and
try it out. I created a brand new user to test this out with, since
my karmic box has been dist-upgraded release by release for years
instead of being a fresh install. Unfortunately with xmonad-0.9.1
I was not able to reproduce this problem using either the git version
of the applet, or with the version 1.0 tarball reconfigured to use
the proper karmic install locations.

Hopefully with a little more info about your setup the next steps
to troubleshoot this will be clear.

Attached is the config I used (requires xmonad-0.9 or greater, 
and DBus package from hackage). I ran it in a full gnome-session
with xmonad replacing metacity via gconftool.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: applet-test.xmonad.hs
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 2881 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/attachments/20100117/77e7c72e/applet-test.xmonad.obj

More information about the xmonad mailing list