[xmonad] xmonad on gnome: permanently busy cursor?

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 16 12:55:05 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

I have followed the wiki instructions to setup xmonad on Gnome (Ubuntu 9.10)

and it worked beautifully. Just one thing is wrong: the cursor is permanently in "busy" state. I have noticed that this only happens when I enable (and add to the gnome panel) xmonad log applet. Oddly, if I do "sudo killall Xorg" and start my session over the problem is gone.

I have seen others mention this problem

but couldn't find any solution to it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?