[xmonad] Xmonad, beagle-search, and mime types

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Sun Feb 21 12:33:33 EST 2010

I've been fighting with xdg-open myself, having just switched to
chromium. It turns out it's a pretty readable shell script (open it up
in your favorite editor and have a look!). Here's approximately what
it does:

* is there a KDE session running? use kde-open, fall back to kfmclient
* is there a Gnome session running? use gvfs-open, fall back to gnome-open
* is there an XFCE session running? use exo-open
* try, in order: mimeopen, run-mailcap, $BROWSER, firefox, mozilla, netscape

So, probably what's happening to you is that you aren't running KDE,
Gnome, or XFCE, you don't have mimeopen or run-mailcap installed, and
you haven't set $BROWSER.

I export BROWSER=gnome-open and love it, but old versions do have a
bug where gnome-open totally ignores
.local/share/applications/defaults.list, so make sure to update
gnome-open!

Good luck,
~d