[xmonad] Splitting into xmonad-core/xmonad/xmonad-contrib; WAS Small announce about the completion of the bluetile merge

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 20:41:12 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 03:55:08PM EST, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:06 AM, Spencer Janssen
> <spencerjanssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't see the point of adding another package, what problem does
> > it really solve?  Some of the arguments for adding a third package
> > border on intellectual dishonesty: we can't claim that xmonad is the
> > same minimal window manager if we quadruple the lines of code used
> > in the default configuration.

> If we're going to throw around phrases like 'intellectual dishonesty',
> then I submit that presenting the current xmonad-core as anything more
> than a demo is dishonest. Does anyone use xmonad-core without any
> customizations? Or without anything from xmonad-contrib?

I'm a newcomer to xmonad, with no knowledge of Haskell.

xmonad 0.8 as shipped by debian squeeze let me do everything I needed
without additional customization.

It took my fingers about an hour to learn the well-thought out default
keyboard actions and in terms of window and workspace mangement, there
was absolutely nothing I wasn't able to do more efficiently than on any
desktop or WM I have tried so far.

Minimal customization:

1. I changed the terminal to 'xterm -u8 -tn xterm-256color'
2. I added a minimal xmobar: date, CPU%, THRM, weather, %mem, %swap

But I could have lived without these.

I can't think of anything that needs to be added to the minimal xmonad
configuration.

Just the impressions & opinions of s/o new to xmonad.

CJ