[xmonad] EWMH Panel in Haskell

John Yates john at yates-sheets.org
Tue Feb 9 20:29:38 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott at mirix.org> wrote:
> The rest of my environment consits of several urxvts/uxterms and
> firefox.

(Please forgive me if the following attempt to extrapolate from your
brief response is off target.)

It sounds like you are a "dyed in the wool" command-line user.
Further, it sounds like you are saying that not only do you _not_ run
a mainstream window manager but also that you choose _not_ to run any
of the components associated with a mainstream GUI desktop
environment.

I too am a command-line devotee though I run most of my shells within
emacs.  That said I am happy to run bits of the gnome GUI in a single
bar across the top of my screen (gnome panel and a handful of
applets).  Within that panel I use dzen2 to displays what would
otherwise appear on a title bar if I chose to have my windows so
decorated.  Again in that panel I have Mod4-p bound run dmenu for
launching programs.  And much as I love tiling window managers in
general and xmonad in particular I still appreciate the Gnome
Workspace Switcher's visual presentation of my 9 workspaces.  (A
picture can truly be worth many key strokes and much searching.)

Bottom-line: even after replacing my window manager I find that a
desktop environment still offers many reusable components that I would
never think of reinventing.  I encourage you to read the wiki pages on
xmonad integration with Gnome and/or KDE.  (I use Gnome because it is
Ubuntu's default environment and therefore best supported under that
distribution.)

/john