[xmonad] xmonad-contrib and mtl-2 -- bugfix release?

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Dec 17 21:55:01 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:41:59PM -0500, Adam Vogt wrote:
> * On Thursday, December 16 2010, Brent Yorgey wrote:
>
> >It was just pointed out in #haskell by mreh that the version of
> >xmonad-contrib currently released on Hackage fails to build, since it
> >does not specify version bounds on its mtl dependency, but fails to
> >build with mtl-2, since XMonad.Utils.CustomKeys uses the Reader
> >constructor and HintedGrid uses State.  This has since been fixed; the
> >darcs version of xmonad-contrib builds fine with mtl-1 and mtl-2.
> >However, it's poor form to have the released version fall over if you
> >just do 'cabal install xmonad-contrib'.
> >
> >Concretely, I propose that we do a spot bugfix release of just the
> >0.9.1 tag + the patch that fixed the mtl-2 incompatibility:
> >
> >  Mon Nov 15 18:26:54 EST 2010  Adam Vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com>
> >  * Compatibility with mtl-1 and mtl-2

OK, I am confused.  I grabbed the darcs repo corresponding to the
'0.9.1' tag (just by doing a local 'get' from my up-to-date darcs
repo).  Then pulling in the single patch I listed above was easy
enough (actually it pulled in two patches but the other patch was
similar).  Then I tried building it (against the released
xmonad-0.9.1), which failed on some module because 'ExtensionClass'
was not in scope.

After a bit more digging, I found that XMonad.Util.ExtensibleState is
NOT in xmonad-contrib-0.9.1 as released on Hackage, but it IS in the
darcs repo corresponding to the '0.9.1' tag.  So now it seems that the
0.9.1 tag does not correspond to the actual 0.9.1 release, or else I
am very confused (or both).  So I am not sure what to do.  Any
thoughts?

Also confusing is the fact that Hackage reports xmonad-contrib-0.9.1
builds successfully with ghc 6.12, but as far as I know it shouldn't
(unless the Hackage build process chooses dependency versions
in a different way than cabal install, which is possible).

-Brent