[xmonad] Issue 350 in xmonad: Investigate using Dyre for xmonad configuration

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Fri Dec 17 04:39:17 CET 2010

Comment #7 on issue 350 by vogt.adam: Investigate using Dyre for xmonad
configuration

I have not heard either way. That being said, my changes aren't complete
and I
was more or less asking for help in this (dated Nov 1, 2010):

     The following darcs repository xmonad uses dyre:

     http://code.haskell.org/~aavogt/xmonad-dyre/

     I'm using ghc-6.12.3 and some part of the recompile seems to die:

     If I touch ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs, then  (xmonad --restart, or use a
     keybind to    restart (Right True)) the WM exits due to this exception:

     Configuration '/home/aavogt/.xmonad/xmonad.hs' changed. Recompiling.
     xmonad: waitForProcess: does not exist (No child processes)

     The recompile dies with the same exception here, but the result is
     correct:

     touch ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs; xmonad --recompile; xmonad --restart

     Some feature requests, somewhat related to what's already done in
     xmonad. (see http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=350)

     1. there should be a way bypass dyre's recompilation checking; and force
        that executable to exit once recompilation is done. For the latter
        I've tried unsuccessfully:
        - write a global IORef before using dyre, and read it in the realMain
          which I'm not sure why that doesn't work
        - set config parameters, which obviously doesn't work since the
          config in ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs shouldn't ask for early exit
     2. dyre's recompilation checking could look in ./lib given -ilib, which
        makes changing files in a modular config trigger a recompile

     Thanks for you help,
     Adam