[xmonad] xmonad-contrib and mtl-2 -- bugfix release?

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 16 23:54:51 CET 2010

It was just pointed out in #haskell by mreh that the version of
xmonad-contrib currently released on Hackage fails to build, since it
does not specify version bounds on its mtl dependency, but fails to
build with mtl-2, since XMonad.Utils.CustomKeys uses the Reader
constructor and HintedGrid uses State.  This has since been fixed; the
darcs version of xmonad-contrib builds fine with mtl-1 and mtl-2.
However, it's poor form to have the released version fall over if you
just do 'cabal install xmonad-contrib'.

Concretely, I propose that we do a spot bugfix release of just the
0.9.1 tag + the patch that fixed the mtl-2 incompatibility:

  Mon Nov 15 18:26:54 EST 2010  Adam Vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com>
  * Compatibility with mtl-1 and mtl-2

The other option would be to do a point release of whatever is
currently in darcs, but that would be more work to do properly.

I'm happy to do the work to make this happen, I just wanted to hear
some reactions first.

-Brent