[xmonad] Re: background applications

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Mon Aug 30 23:44:38 EDT 2010

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH
<allbery at ece.cmu.edu> writes:
>> WM_CHANGE_STATE, actually...
>
> Hm.
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s05.html#id2522991
> says "A Client wishing to change the state of a window MUST send a
> _NET_WM_STATE client message to the root window (see below)."  Are
> there multiple ways of doing this now?  (I noticed a few other things
> seem to have changed, but their documentation at least says so.)

Hmm, WM_CHANGE_STATE is ICCCM:

    http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.4

Whereas _NET_WM_STATE is EWMH, and covers more possible states. Since
both of these are pretty standard, it's likely most clients a little bit
of both, I think. Xlib standards kind of frighten me though, so feel
free to point out if I'm wrong here.