[xmonad] Re: WindowNavigation and Spacing Issue

Tomáš Janoušek tomi at nomi.cz
Mon Aug 2 12:02:36 EDT 2010

Hey David,

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 02:33:06PM +0200, David Hrachovy wrote:
> when using WindowNavigation and Spacing together, the window
> navigation doesn't work. If the 'spacing 2' is removed the navigation
> works. I like both the features. Can you please help me set up window
> spacing and easy window navigation?

This seems to be caused by the fact that WindowNavigation chooses the window
to switch to using a single point in the current window, not the window
itself. The scenario you described looks like this:

 +---+ +---+
 |   | |   |
 |   | +---+
 | * |
 |   | +---+
 |   | |   |
 +---+ +---+

As there is no window to the right of that point, WindowNavigation doesn't
switch you to any.

You can solve this by switching the order of layout modifiers -- that is,
windowNavigation first, spacing second:

> myLayout = spacing 2 $ windowNavigation $ tiled

This way, WindowNavigation doesn't "see" the gaps and works just like if there
were none.

(Also, there is a module called XMonad.Actions.WindowNavigation, which claims
to be a rewrite of the one you're using, and it works even when applied after
spacing. I have no idea which of these is better, though.)

Regards,
--
Tomáš Janoušek, a.k.a. Liskni_si, http://work.lisk.in/