[xmonad] [jv@informatik.uni-bonn.de: xmonad entry for HCAR November 2009]

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 12:02:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
>> Can someone revise the HCAR entry?
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Janis Voigtländer <jv at informatik.uni-bonn.de> -----
>>
>> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:14:46 +0100
>> From: Janis Voigtländer <jv at informatik.uni-bonn.de>
>> To: dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
>> Subject: xmonad entry for HCAR November 2009
>>
>> Dear Don,
>>
>> The xmonad entry for the Haskell Communities and Activities Report is
>> already quite old. I had hoped for an updated entry for the upcoming
>> edition. If you let me know, there is still a bit of time to produce a
>> revision. For reference, below is the old entry.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Janis.
>>
>> \begin{hcarentry}{xmonad}
>> \label{xmonad}
>> \report{Don Stewart}%05/08
>> \status{active development}
>> \makeheader
>>
>> xmonad is a tiling window manager for X. Windows are arranged
>> automatically to tile the screen without gaps or overlap, maximizing
>> screen use. Window manager features are accessible from the keyboard: a
>> mouse is optional. xmonad is written, configured, and extensible in
>> Haskell. Custom layout algorithms, key bindings, and other extensions may
>> be written by the user in config files. Layouts are applied
>> dynamically, and different layouts may be used on each workspace.
>> Xinerama is fully supported, allowing windows to be tiled on several
>> physical screens.
>>
>> The new release 0.7 of xmonad added full support for the GNOME and KDE
>> desktops, and adoption continues to grow, with binary packages of xmonad
>> available for all major distributions.
>>
>> \FurtherReading
>> \begin{compactitem}
>> \item Homepage:
>>  \url{http://xmonad.org/}
>>
>> \item Darcs source:
>>
>>  \texttt{darcs get} \url{http://code.haskell.org/xmonad}
>>
>> \item IRC channel:
>>  \verb+#xmonad @ irc.freenode.org+
>>
>> \item Mailing list:
>>  \email{xmonad at haskell.org}
>> \end{compactitem}
>> \end{hcarentry}
>
> If anyone wants to do it, the relevant links are:
>
> - http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.7
> - http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.8
> - http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.9
>
> Quickly eyeballing, important changes include:
>
> - XMonad.Config.PlainConfig (and its splitting off to xmonad-light)
> - local modules ("Supports using local modules in xmonad.hs For
> example: to use definitions from
> ~/.xmonad/lib/XMonad/Stack/MyAdditions.hs")
> - --restart CLI option
> - Util.Replace
> -- Prompt has customizable keymaps
> - Actions.GridSelect
> - Actions.OnScreen
> - Actions.SpawnOn
> - xmonad-extra
> [...]

May and thus a new HCAR is hard upon us. New things to add to the list
not mentioned in the .9 page:

- xmonad-core: --replace flag
- extensible state infrastructure in XMC
- Markdown manpages and not man/troff
-  XMonad.Layout.ImageButtonDecoration & XMonad.Util.Image
- UrgencyHook performance fix
- XMonad.Layout.Groups
- *.ZoomRow
- *.Renamed
- *.Drawer
- XMonad.Hooks.ScreenCorners
- XMonad.Actions.DynamicWorkspaceOrder
- *.WorkspaceNames
- *.DynamicWorkspaceGroups
- XMonad.Prompt.Ssh provides completions from ~/.ssh/config

--
gwern