[xmonad] Re: [patch] Fix URI escaping in X.A.Search

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:47:26 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Khudyakov Alexey
<alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> В сообщении от 24 апреля 2010 00:57:29 вы написали:
>> Hello
>>
>> This patch fix URI escaping in X.A.Search. Non ASCII characters were not
>> escaped. This patch modify escape function so it encodes as UTF8 and
>>  escapes all non-ASCII characters.
>>
>> This is also a workaroud for bug in System.Process which doesn't properly
>> encode strings and just truncate Chars to 1 byte.
>>
> Ping?

I looked at it earlier, and I wasn't so sure that this is entirely
right. For example, in 'isAscii c && isAlphaNum c = [c]', isn't
isAscii redundant? I thought all AlphaNum were ASCII.

As well as that, I'm not confident about the use of encodeString. We
had a long discussion about modify the 'spawn' functions to UTF-8
encode stuff, and the upshot was that it seemed like a bad idea? See
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2009-January/thread.html#7012

--
gwern