[xmonad] How to disable history in XMonad.Actions.Search.

Mike Sampson mike at sambodata.com
Sun Sep 20 11:42:41 EDT 2009

Gwern,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Code tip: you could also write '\_ -> []', or just 'const []'.

Yes, my Haskell leaves a lot to be desired. :) I went with const []. Thanks.

> If you look in Search, you'll see:
>
> {- | Like 'search', but for use with the output from a Prompt; it
> grabs the
>   Prompt's result, passes it to a given searchEngine and opens it in
> a given
>   browser. -}
> promptSearchBrowser ∷  XPConfig →  Browser →  SearchEngine →  X ()
> promptSearchBrowser config browser (SearchEngine name site) =
> mkXPrompt (Search name) config historyCompletion $ search browser site
>
> That is, 'config' is not asked for the history completion function nor
> is any filter ran upon it; rather, it uses the canned
> historyCompletion function from XMonad.Prompt.

Ahh. I did browse this file but missed the finer details of that function.

> It's possible to grab the historyFilter from the XPConfig that
> promptSearchBrowser has access to; if you could test out my attached
> patch?

Applied. This seems to be working perfectly. When the above
historyFilter is used, the history file is still created but contains
an empty list. Perfect.

Your assistance is much appreciated. Once again the xmonad mailing
list comes through for me.

Many thanks,

Mike