[xmonad] How to make a window floating above all the other windows and border-less?

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 12:26:25 EDT 2009

Excerpts from Magicloud Magiclouds's message of Wed Sep 09 20:45:49 -0600 2009:

>   But I met a few problems here. I made the windows "over-redirect",
> so it has no border. Well, how to make it floating above all the
> others then?

Assuming your window has a property to match in manageHook, (appName used
here), and already floats because of fixed size, etc:

import XMonad.Actions.NoBorders

appName =? "foo" --> (ask >>= \w -> liftX (toggleBorder w) >> idHook)

If you need to float it with manageHook, then instead of idHook use
doRectFloat or doCenterFloat as appropriate.

In darcs there is also Layout.Monitor module with additional tools for
such tasks.

--
wmw