[xmonad] Popup origin

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:05:50 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 12:36:54PM -0400, Donald Allen wrote:
> I'm new to xmonad, but not to tiling window managers, having used dwm
> for a time (I got tired of the sometimes unruly-junior-high-school-boy
> character of discussion on their mailing list, though this does not
> apply to Anselm himself, who is unfailingly polite). So I'm giving
> xmonad a try, and so far, so good.
>
> I do have one issue, however. I have a pair of systems that share (via
> a dvm) a Lenovo display with a 16/9 aspect ratio. On that display,
> popup dialogs, such as the file-chooser that appears during
> file-download operations in Firefox, are positioned too low on the
> screen, resulting the in the bottom of the dialog being cut off (this
> is not an issue on my older Thinkpad G41 with a 1400x1050 display). Is
> there a way to specify the origin of popup windows via the
> configuration system?
>
> I should mention that I'm running OpenBSD 4.5 Release on all these
> systems and xmonad 0.7, which is the version Release 4.5 provides as a
> package. So I'm aware that there is a newer version of xmonad. (I've
> had no success trying to build the newer version with the ghc compiler
> and libraries Release 4.5 provides.) So, it's possible this issue has
> been addressed in the newer version.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help --
> /Don Allen

There have been a couple small changes to floating windows since 0.7, I'm not
sure whether they apply to this situation.

If you're just looking for a workaround, see
XMonad.Hooks.ManageHelpers.doCenterFloat.  Again, I'm not sure whether this is
in 0.7, but I'm sure it could be added directly to your xmonad.hs with a bit of
effort.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen

PS - Regarding your followup about the other floating windows thread, I
     believe they're separate issues and it was good for you to start
     another thread.