[xmonad] darcs patch: Clean .hi and .o files when recompiling

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:51:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:18:39AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I???d like to see this in the next release, to reduce the delta between xmonad as
> shipped by debian and as it is on hackage:

Maybe I missed the original patch (I haven't paid much attention to xmonad in
the past two months), but I would really appreciate seeing patches when/before
they're applied downstream.  If the fix is important enough to apply in Debian,
it is probably important enough to at least consider upstream.

Speaking of "delta", are there any other non-integration patches that Debian
applies?

> Wed Sep  9 10:15:57 CEST 2009  Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
>   * Clean .hi and .o files when recompiling
>   This patch is applied to the Debian packages since a few months. During the
>   last ghc upgrade in Debian, people had to this manually to get their xmonad
>   compilable again. This patch should mitigate this a bit.

Regarding this specific change, perhaps we can delete interface and object
files immediately after compiling?  We already instruct GHC to ignore them, so
they're just taking up disk space.  Even better, can we tell GHC to put those
files in /tmp and clean them up when compilation is done?

Also, core has just added support for modular configs, so any patch will need
to clean up the files in .xmonad/lib as well.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen