[xmonad] Bluetile

Jérémy Bobbio lunar at debian.org
Sat Sep 5 21:36:16 EDT 2009

Hi!

(Sorry to be replying to an old thread, but I am catching up.)

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 01:01:11AM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> A greeter could be as short as 3 (non-golfed) obviously correct lines:
> 1 line to do the 'if (not fileExists) $ spawn xmessage ++ helpMsg; a
> 2nd line to touch the file; and a 3rd line to define helpMsg. What the
> helpMsg would be is something worth discussing.

I really do agree.  XMonad is now in a variety of distributions and can
be installed by clueless users in a click-or-two.  Later one, when they
happen to break their GNOME session, it sounds like a good idea to give
at least an idea on what is going on when XMonad finally shows up from
distant memories.

For this use case, I think the message should at least document how to
quit.

It was 13 years ago (damn.), but the very first time I started "vi" on a
Slackware, Ctrl+C did not quit, and I had no other clue so I just pushed
the reboot button.  After the next boot, I had the same experience with
"emacs".  A few reboots later, eventually, someone told me a little bit
more on how to edit, quit and save… but the software itself could
probably have helped me as well.

When started without any parameters "vim" displays not so much (9 lines
of text), but among others:
  type  :q<Enter>               to exit
  type  :help<Enter>  or  <F1>  for on-line help

But maybe it is a change that I should look forward to see added to the
Debian package instead…

Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar at debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism
                                    `. `'`
                                      `-