[xmonad] xmonad border strangeness on OSX vs. Linux

Curtis Spencer thorin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 13:19:56 EDT 2009

Hi,
I have been a user of xmonad for a few months now on Linux, and I thought I
would try to bring the tile based sweetness over to my OSX machine.  So I
fired up X11, followed the tutorial on the Haskell Wiki and got a generally
usable setup.

I have noticed an issue on the xmonad 0.8.1 with the borders around the
windows and focusing.  I am using the exact same configuration as on linux:

import XMonad
import XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
import XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks
import XMonad.Util.Run(spawnPipe)
import XMonad.Util.EZConfig(additionalKeys)
import System.IO

main = xmonad $ defaultConfig
  {
    borderWidth = 1
  , terminal= "urxvt"
  , normalBorderColor  = "#ff0000"
  , focusedBorderColor = "#00ff00"
  } `additionalKeys`
  [((mod1Mask, xK_t), spawn "urxvt")]

The linux version sets the focused window to have a green border and the
rest of the windows to have a red border.  When I use this on OSX, I can
sometimes get a red border to partially show up around one of the terminals
by resizing it, but I never get the focused green border.  Is there some
setting I am missing or is there something I need to do differently with OSX
X11?

Here are the links to the images if anyone wants a viz of what is going on.
OSX:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/30313430@N08/3882016252/
Linux: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30313430@N08/3882016216/

Thanks,
Curtis