[xmonad] Using TwoPane

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Oct 28 10:27:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Amy de Buitléir <amy at nualeargais.ie> wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
>> 2009/10/28 Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
>>
>> I start three terminals, t1, t2 and t3, I then switch to TwoPane and
>> have a screen showing t1 and t2 (t1|t2).  What I want is to have t1
>> next to t3, so I jump through the windows until I have t1|t3.
>> However, if I now want to switch focus to t1 I can't seem do that
>> without changing what windows are visible, however I do it I end up
>> with t1|t2.  What I have to do is get t3 over to the master area, then
>> jump through until I have t3|t1.  I have to redo the same steps if I
>> after that want to switch focus to t3.
>
> I'm using DragPane, but I had the same problem. What works for me is to make
> sure the focus is in the master area, and then use Alt-Tab until the app I
> want is in the other pane.

(Assuming Alt-Tab is your key combo for switching focus between windows:)
That's what I do too, which is exactly what I so clumsily tried to
explain.  That leaves one of the windows you want in the master area,
and the other in the non-master area (slave?).  Can you then switch
back to the master area *without the window in the non-master area
changing*?

It's the switching back and forth between two carefully places windows
that is more painful than I like.

/M