[xmonad] Fullscreen Workspace

Ones Self w1rixgj02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Oct 9 00:17:26 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I've been using xmonad for a few months now, and I love it.  I
continuously find better and better ways to set up my desktop.  One
thing I've been struggling with is fullscreen.  I use this mostly for
watching movies, but also potentially for showing a presentation.
I would like to either have key combination which turns the current
workspace to fullscreen or to designate one of my workspaces to be in
fullscreen always (or both).

I currently have the following key bindings defined:

    -- toggle the status bar gap
    , ((modMask .|. shiftMask, xK_b     ), sendMessage ToggleStruts)

    -- Toggle borders
    , ((controlMask .|. shiftMask, xK_b ), withFocused toggleBorder)

The first makes the status bar disappear, and the other kills the
window border.  Although, this is not a single key stroke, and can't
be assign to a workspace, it gave me what I needed.  However, I've
recently discovered themes, and I've added title-bars to my windows
which I love:

newTheme :: ThemeInfo
newTheme = TI "" "" "" defaultTheme
myTheme :: ThemeInfo
myTheme =
    newTheme { themeName        = "myTheme"
             , themeAuthor      = "Ones Self"
             , themeDescription = "My Theme"
             , theme            = defaultTheme { activeColor         = "#8a999e"
                                               , inactiveColor       = "#545d75"
                                               --, activeBorderColor   = "white"
                                               , activeBorderColor   = "#8a999e"
                                               --, inactiveBorderColor = "grey"
                                               , inactiveBorderColor = "#545d75"
                                               , activeTextColor     = "white"
                                               , inactiveTextColor   = "grey"
                                               , fontName            = "-*-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
                                               , decoHeight          = 12
                                               , decoWidth           = 2000
                                               }
             }

This presents a problem to fullscreen mode since the title-bars stay
visible.

- How can I define a key that will make title-bars disappear?
- Can I combine it with my current "make border disappear" key?
- Can I designate a workspace to always show windows in fullscreen
  (meaning, no status bar gap, no window borders, and no window
  title)?
- Can I define a single key that will toggle fullscreen for a given
  workspace?

Thanks you very much,

--
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"