[xmonad] xmonad non-xinerama multi-head problem

Lewis Cawthorne cawthorn at mailbox.sc.edu
Wed Nov 4 17:39:55 EST 2009

Hello All!

I am a new xmonad user and am loving it, except for one little issue
that I can't get worked out.  To put it simply...  Xmonad seems to not
like reaccepting mouse control after I leave the screen and come back on
my system that is set up with three screens and xinerama flagged off in
my xorg.conf.

Case A) xmonad on screen0; no wm or openbox on either of the other
screens.  I can open up my e-mail client on my second screen, screen1
(openbox menu or 'DISPLAY=:0.1 thunderbird').  I can with 100%
reliability switch over to it with my mouse, open some items, etc.  If I
mouse back to screen0, about 90% or more of the time firefox looks like
it has focus, when I mouse over links they will darken, even more
curious - when I use the scroll wheel I can scroll up and down in the
webpage that is displayed, BUT I cannot get it to recognize the click
action on any item (ie. if I click a link, nothing happens.  if I put my
mouse over a button it darkens, but the click does nothing).  I can
reliably fix this situation by simply mousing over any other open window
on the screen with firefox (say one of my terminals), and even without
clicking on them return to firefox and everything works fine.

Case B) xmonad on screen0, xmonad on screen 1.  same as above, but it
can happen when I enter either screen.  I can 'work around' the issue by
making sure there are two windows open on any given screen so I have a
second thing to mouse over.  I have taken to leaving xclock and
thunderbird both open on screen 1 and firefox with three terminals open
on screen0.  when i go to my mail, i manually browse over the clock and
then go to my mail program and don't have problems.  when i return to
screen0, i simply go past firefox to a terminal, then back to firefox.
it is somewhat tiresome, but workable.  it becomes more problematic when
i only have one thing open on a screen, but i can generally just go to a
terminal and manually fire something else up with a 'DISPLAY=:0.1 xclock
&' or whatever.  (when doing this, i had to remove fullscreen from my
layouts to prevent mistakenly causing myself major problems getting to
any of my screens) one odd thing about the double xmonad setup is that
when my scroll wheel and shadows appear on one screen but my clicks are
not being accepted, invariably focus of the keyboard is still on the old
screen because if I hit the command to open a terminal, it will appear
on the old window.
Note: it isn't just with Firefox/Thunderbird.  I just have them open
most of the time.  I can duplicate the behavior easily in XChat, only
open terminals, etc.

Case C) xmonad on screen0, xmonad on screen1, xmonad on screen3.  I jsut
tested this to see what would happen, and it did the following:
If I sit on this screen with my browser and hit my keystroke to open a
terminal, it opens on this screen (Screen0).
If I move the mouse one screen to the left (Screen1) and open a
terminal, it opens on this main screen again (Screen0).
If I move the mouse one screen to the left (Screen2) and open a
terminal, it opens on the middle screen (Screen1).
If I move the mouse one screen to the right (Screen1) and open a
terminal, it appears on the television (Screen2).
If I move the mouse one screen to the right (Screeen0) and open a
terminal, it appers on the proper screen!  (Screen0).

Here's what I have done so far without it helping:
0- Same setup works with other WM's with no changes (even sscreen in
ratpoison and what not).
1- Tried Xinerama.  I believe everything worked fine, but xorg turned
off my composite extension.
2- Booted into my Gentoo install, and had the same problem with a clean
install of xmonad 0.8.  (same hardware; same xorg.conf)
3- Deleted my config and used the default.  Also tested with two random
configurations from the website.
4- Switched to nouveau video driver (from nvidia)
5- Move my second monitor from being connected to my third card (along
with my tv) to being connected to my primary card
6- Setup gaps around my screen with import.layout.gaps (and appropriate
layoutHook changes) in hopes that xmoand would 'catch' the transition better
7- imported UpdateFocus (and did the startupHook/eventHook to
updateFocus on mouse move, in hopes it would compensate
8- turned off focusFollowsMouse

In case I haven't included enough information in this e-mail, I have
kept a bit more detailed list of observations as I messed around at:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=650137#p650137

Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Lewis Cawthorne