[xmonad] Re: Issue 327 in xmonad: Layout.SubLayouts does not work with Layout.Combo

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Nov 3 08:58:36 EST 2009

Updates:
	Owner: vogt.adam
	Labels: Component-Contrib Priority-Medium Documentation

Comment #1 on issue 327 by vogt.adam: Layout.SubLayouts does not work with
Layout.Combo

It's a known and difficult issue that not all layouts can be nested within
others.

As described here, decorated layouts must not be used as the inner layout:
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-SubLayouts.html#3

Instead, use
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-SubLayouts.html#v%3AsubTabbed
(or it's pieces) with a more pure layout, if you want decorations.

I believe that this can be type-system enforced by choosing a different
type for the
inner layout to manage (ex. Int) which is just as Combo does (currently it
is
Window), but I guess that isn't a substitute for a larger disclaimer (since
the
errors would suggest to write the missing instance).